Online Non-Verbal Communication
From Weaponized Social
non-explicit and non-verbal communication in text "on the internet, can we punch someone" http://ariflynn.blogspot.com/2015/02/flip-thap.html
Why does this matter?
- Produce a community of people with shared language or way of communicating is important
- text for conversational flow to distinguish voice and tone in a community
- Give a broader range of expressions, expand what's possible
Non-explicit and non-verbal communication in text
- There are things that are not said in our in-person communications
- These things are literally not there, that cannot be translated
- You lose the eye roll or the body language
- *eye roll*
- How do we read in between the lines in text?
- How do we translate our intentions?
Ways we do things to show what we mean, online
- parenthetical asides
- put everything in JSON
- visual drawings
- emoticons - add facial expessions
- white space as a tool to represent space or time or rhythm
- page layouts
- rules of engagement // class structures // to keep people engaged
- Bold, italic
- ALL CAPS
- internet dialects
- text-based communications
- "555" ha ha ha
- I hv sth 4 u
- font size
- kerning, letter spacing
- color of text
- white space
- superscript/ subscript
- +, ways to show I'm listening and a signal of agreement
- creation of personality
- use of font and word spellings to imply meanings, OK, k, okay
- use of links
- color, psychological and cultural
Things to consider
- A large part of the internet has a built in reward system with false positives.
- Building web of trust in word choice and the way you say things.
- You can do things with text that you can't do things with conversation.
- What happens with language // accessibility
- how do we have a "oh you know what i mean button"
- what's left out in text-only relationships?
- how is time used? and history + context carried over time?
- Archive knowledge vs. Real time
- Other stress responses:
- What are appropriate stress responses?