Checklist for making safe space
- Digital: easy to walk away online. Or to push your own agenda.
- there are established patterns already: spaces that use conflict resolution, guidelines, codes
- what would be more useful for us now?
after making many many postit notes about safe spaces, we organized and found three main themes:
- Making safe space
- acting/being in safe space
- when things go wrong
talking through these, we began making a list of questions for organizers and participants to ask, framing as questions for consideration (awareness) rather than a checklist
Making Safe Space
- Who is this space for?
- How long does it last?
- What are the expectations of this space?
- what is "safety" in the context of this space?
- Who is or is not represented in your group? (Is this intentional or not?)
- What aspects of this space are negotiable or not?
- Has everyone that is included chosen to be included?
- How does someone enter/exit this safe space?
- How does the creation of this space impact the safety of those outside it?
- What kinds of work do I need to do with myself to participate?
- By what channels does communication happen?
- How do you communicate experiences within this spaces?
- How do you raise qeustions about the process?
- What behaviors are useful within this space?
- What kinds of disagreement/debate are constructive within this space?
- How do you signal what kind of communication you want?
- What kinds of failure modes are the channels of this space likely to fall into (both intentional and unintentional)?
Questions to ask during breakdowns?
- what is the response if a member feels unsafe?
- what are the options/opportunities for support?
- what are the options/opportunities for existing the space?
- are there specific threats to the safety of this space?
(From the other room, discussion of breakdowns and specific what/how... Toxic individuals, for example.) individuals harming the community... fold into the above, especially in "during breakdowns" section: Physical Spaces influcenced by Internets